College Closure - Extreme Weather
Date: 15 July 2022
Update: Monday 18 July 2022 - COLLEGE CLOSURE
Following a review of the weather alert for tomorrow, Orbital South Colleges have taken the decision to remain closed for both East Surrey College & John Ruskin College on Tuesday 19 July.
Classes that were due to run tomorrow will be postponed.
For staff, please follow the directions below regarding working from home and informing HR and your line manager.
The forecast for Wednesday 20 July is much cooler and both sites will be open as normal.
Whilst the College buildings are closed, we are still available online!
View and apply for your course
Full Time courses
Part Time courses
Look after yourselves over today and tomorrow, drink plenty of water and try to keep cool.
Update: Friday 15 July 2022 - COLLEGE CLOSURE
As you may be aware there is currently a Red weather warning out for London and the South East.
In preparation for this heatwave, we have reviewed the advice from the MET office and the risks involved and have taken the decision to close both East Surrey College and John Ruskin College on Monday 18 July.
What to expect
An exceptional hot spell on Monday and Tuesday leading to widespread impacts on people and infrastructure.
- Population-wide adverse health effects experienced, not limited to those most vulnerable to extreme heat, leading to serious illness or danger to life. Government advice is that 999 services should be used in emergencies only; seek advice from 111 if you need non-emergency health advice.
- Substantial changes in working practices and daily routines will be required
- High risk of failure of heat-sensitive systems and equipment, potentially leading to localised loss of power and other essential services, such as water or mobile phone services
- Significantly more people visiting coastal areas, lakes and rivers, leading to an increased risk of water safety incidents
- Delays on roads and road closures, along with delays and cancellations to rail and air travel, with significant welfare issues for those who experience even moderate delays
- We are keeping the MET Office advice under review.
Guidance for students
There are some classes running on Monday and we have taken the decision to postpone these and will review the situation for Tuesday’s classes on Monday 18 July.
Guidance for visitors
Please contact the member of staff you are coming to ascertain the status of the planned visit to College sites. The Youth Hub at John Ruskin College will also be closed to face-to-face activity on Monday 18 July.
Guidance for staff
On Monday 18 July, all staff, where they can, please work from home. Please inform your line manager and the HRMailbox on HResources@esc.ac.uk if you are unable to work from home.
Further information will be sent out on Monday regarding Tuesday 19 July. Please keep an eye on this webpage and we will update with any further information.
It is only under extreme circumstances that we ever close the College sites, the aim is to keep the sites open.
Please look after yourselves and drink plenty of fluids.
Successful Funding Bid
Working with the Anne Frank Trust at JRC
Celebrating National Apprenticeship Week at JRC!
Launch of the New HE Courses!
John Ruskin College hosts inter-generational care event
Address: John Ruskin College, Selsdon Park Road, South Croydon, CR2 8JJ
Phone: 020 8651 1131 / Email: email@example.com