Information for Parents
John Ruskin College offers an adult environment and encourages learners to take responsibility for their own learning and conduct. Your involvement and awareness are key, and we are committed to working closely with you to keep you up to date with your child’s progress and life at John Ruskin College and hold a number of special events at which you can meet Teachers and Tutors face to face.
- Welcome Evening
We hold a Welcome Evening (Meet and Greet) in September for the parents of learners new to John Ruskin College.
- Consultation Evenings
Held between November and March, these evenings welcome parents and carers to discuss course progress, meet tutors and view the facilities.
- Reports & Progress
Written reports and other information about the progress of students are sent to parents and carers throughout the academic year.
We look forward to seeing you at a future evening event.
You can help your son or daughter to succeed by:
- Making us aware of any change in circumstances or difficulties experienced outside college which might affect your child’s performance.
- Supporting your child in becoming independent by managing his or her own learning, so that he or she can reach his or her full potential.
- Informing us in writing of changes of address, telephone numbers, etc. Ensuring family holidays do not coincide with term time. If unavoidable written notification should be provided in advance.
Attendance and Punctuality
We seek to challenge and improve late arrivals and absences from college. Although it is your child’s responsibility to report his/her own absence or withdrawal, you are expected to ensure this occurs. We hope that parents and carers will assist us in this activity, by encouraging their child to:
- organise themselves the night before i.e. pack bag, look at timetable for next day
- have a good night’s sleep (at least 8 hours)
- eat something healthy in the morning
- leave home feeling comfortable about the day ahead
- leave home in good time
- leave home with the right materials for the day