How to Apply

Facebook Twitter Print Email

How to Apply (Only for International students)

Several different pathways

Choosing the right course

All International students must study full time courses that are minimum 15 hours a week. The course you select must be at Level 3 or above to apply for a student visa. We offer a range of vocational courses from Level 3 (BTECs; City and Guilds and Edexcel).

All our courses are designed to meet the needs of International students and you will feel comfortable, as wehave smaller class sizes and offer additional support with English language assessed on an individual basis.

Step 1:

Making an application

Once you have decided on the course, please apply online. If you have enquired by phone, the Admissions Department will send you an application form by post.

If you would like to start studying in September, then you should start the application process in February or March as our courses start filling up very early.

For any English Language course, you need to start the application process approximately 22 weeks prior to the start date. This will also give you the opportunity to prepare your Visa Application, your English Language test and plan your finances. The deadline for applications for courses commencing September 2018 will be 30th April.

You will need to send the following information:

  • Scanned/Colour copy of your passport.
  • Reference from a tutor/head teacher on school letter headed paper.
  • Copy of all formally achieved qualifications. Where a document is not in English you must also submit a copy of the full translation that can be independently verified by the Home Office. The translation must contain confirmation from the translator/translation company that it is an accurate translation of the original document, the date of translation, the translator/an authorised official of the translation company’s full name and signature, and the translator/translation company’s contact details.We will always use UK NARIC to assess the equivalency of overseas qualifications.
  • Copy of your certificate for English Language Test results – ‘IELTS for UKVI’ not ‘IELTS’ test (both sides – front and back).
  • Proof of financial status:
    Bank statements of 3-6 months previous from date of application showing a minimum of £11,000 to cover accommodation and living costs PLUS our course fees.
    Bank statements should be in student’s name. Fees should be deposited in College bank account and accommodation fees need to be deposited in a bank account in student’s name.
    If accommodation is funded by a relative/guarantor we would need a letter from that person describing the arrangements.

You will also need to pay your deposit which is 40% of the course fees or 90% for high risk countries. You will need to pay this before we can issue you with a Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS).

Step 2:

Offer a place on course

The application form, together with all the other supporting documents and qualifications, are passed from the Admissions Department to the respective academic department for a decision on whether to offer a place, conditionally or unconditionally after a Skype interview with the applicant.

A PROVISIONAL LETTER to offer a place is sent out from the Admissions Department with a request for an initial deposit of at least 40% of the tuition fees or 90% for high risk countries.

Step 3:

Payment, CAS and Visa application  

Pay your deposit. This will secure a place on the selected course.

Please contact the Admissions Department who will advise you on your payment:

Phone: + 44 (0) 20 8651 1131

Upon receipt of the deposit a CAS (Certificate of Acceptance for Studies) number will be issued. The CAS number should be submitted to the British Embassy or High Commission when applying for a student visa. You will also need bank statements and proof that you can support yourself in the UK.

If you require advice on applying for visas, please contact the British Council Office in your country, whose staff will be most helpful. Visit the British Council website.

To apply for a Tier 4 student visa please visit the UK Border Agency.

Step 4:

Granted a student visa

Please inform Admissions Department as soon as you get your visa and when your expected date of arrival is into the UK. Please remember that you will be required to be in the UK for your enrolment at the end of August. This date will be confirmed on your Offer letter. Once you have received your visa, you will need to pay the balance of the remaining course fees prior to your arrival at John Ruskin College. Please also send us a copy of your student visa, via email or post.

What happens if you don’t get your visa

Please inform the Admissions Department as soon as your application for a visa has been refused. Please email or post a copy of the visa refusal letter in full, as we will need to clearly see the reason why your visa was refused, so we can advise you on whether you can appeal or start the refund process. Please note, the College will only refund your deposit fee (minus an administration charge of £200) if your visa has been refused for genuine and legal reasons. The College will not refund any deposit paid if your visa has been refused due to fraudulent purposes.

Step 5:

On arrival at the College, you are to contact Admissions Department to enrol and to be advised of further procedures.

N.B. The College reserves the right to cancel any of the courses should the number of enrolments be insufficient.

Need more help with budgeting

The International Student Calculator is an interactive budgeting tool which helps International students plan and manage their money for UK study. Users can build a lifestyle budget by looking at how they balance their time, as well as their money. Top tips provide information about UK lifestyle, living costs and budgeting ideas. Students can also see how their peers have coped by viewing a range of student profiles and their budgets. The International Student Calculator can be found by clicking here.

Additional information

The UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) is the UK’s national advisory body serving the interests of International students and those who work with them They produce a range of useful information sheets which cover topics such as applying for your visa, accommodation, arriving in the UK, International students and culture shock, keeping healthy, driving etc. These can be found on their website by clicking here.

Apply Online

To apply online click here.

Matrix Matrix AC LSIS Leaders in Diversity Investors In People - Gold Investors In People - Gold The Quality in Careers Standard Sixth Form Colleges Association EU

As part of its funding agreement with the Skills Funding Agency, John Ruskin College vocational courses are part or fully funded by the European Social Fund.