Frequently Asked Questions

Facebook Twitter Print Email

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need a Visa to come to the UK?

Visa regulations vary from country to country. Please contact the British Embassy or the High Commission in your country for up-to-date information. Alternatively, visit the UK Border Agency website at In addition, you can search under then click on ‘TOURISM/CARRIERS INFORMATION’ and then click on ‘VISA POSTER’.

Student Visa: You must register and attend, at least 15 hours per week full time study if you have a Student Visa. We will send you a CAS number to support your visa application once you have paid your deposit of at least 40% of the tuition fees. This deposit is non-refundable. The final offer letter cannot be issued until the deposit has been received.

How much money do I need to live on?

You need to have enough money for the following:

  • As stated on the Tier 4 Migrant Guidance you must have enough money to support yourself whilst studying in the UK. The money that you will need for living costs will depend on the length of your course and where you will study it.
  • You must show that you have £1,265 per month for living costs if you are studying in London for the majority of your study”.
  • Insurance: All students are strongly urged to take out adequate health insurance to cover medical and dental treatment in the United Kingdom. You should also ensure that your possessions are adequately insured. Please use the to help you work out your living expenses and outgoings.

Can I work in England?

On a study visa you can work for up to 10 hours per week, provided it does not interfere with your studies. You can work full time during your holidays. You must be able to afford your tuition and living costs without having to work.

How many students are at John Ruskin College?

There are approximately 700 further education students at John Ruskin College.

Will I be able to spend time with British students?

Studying in an English college means that you can meet British students and will be able to develop the language skills you have learnt. You may even have the chance to join various clubs in the UK – gym, dance, yoga etc. where you will be able to meet other British people and develop not only your language skills, but your understanding of the British culture as well.

What is the term structure?

The college operates a 3-term structure, each lasting roughly 10 weeks.

How many hours per week will I have to study?

The minimum number of hours required per week to obtain a Student visa is 15.

Can the College help me to find a part-time job?

Yes, the College can provide information and advice alongside lots of Employment Agencies in the area who can help you to find part-time work. Student Services also advertises vacancies.

How many students will there be in my class?

Generally the class sizes vary from 14 students up to 25 students depending on the course.

Will there be other students from my country at the college?

John Ruskin College accepts students from all over the world, so it’s possible that there will be other students from your country studying here. The College keeps a close eye on student numbers to ensure we don’t get high concentrations of one particular nationality.

UKCISA (the UK Council for International Student Affairs) is a very useful website for potential International students. You will find information on immigration, fees and funding, working whilst studying and many more helpful topics.

What are public funds?

If you come to live or stay in the United Kingdom, you must be able to support and house yourself without claiming certain state benefits. These are:

  • Income Support and Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA);
  • Housing and homelessness assistance;
  • Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit;
  • Working Families’ Tax Credit;
  • A social fund payment;
  • Child Benefit; or
  • Any disability allowance.

Can I extend my stay as a student?

If you are already studying here, you can apply to extend your stay as a student.

If you did not enter the United Kingdom as a student, you may apply to stay on for studies as long as you are a non-visa national and have been accepted for a course of study at degree level or above.

If you are a visa national, you cannot stay on as a student unless you entered the United Kingdom with a student or prospective student visa.

Can I get medical treatment?

If you come from a country with a health-care agreement with the United Kingdom, or you are enrolled on a course for six months or more, you may be able to get medical treatment on the National Health Service (NHS).

Short-term students who are here for less than six months and visitors are not entitled to free medical treatment, and you will be charged for any treatment you receive. Please make sure you have enough health insurance to cover your stay.

You can get more information from the Department of Health or check Monetos.

Do I have to register with the police?

If you have to register with the police, there will be a stamp in your passport which indicates this requirement. You must register within seven days of arriving in the United Kingdom. You will need your passport and two passport-size photographs of yourself.

Matrix AC LSIS Leaders in Diversity Investors In People - Gold National Centre for Diversity Grand Awards 2018 - No 3 Matrix Investors In People - Gold The Quality in Careers Standard Sixth Form Colleges Association EU

As part of its funding agreement with the Skills Funding Agency, John Ruskin College vocational courses are part or fully funded by the European Social Fund.