What Our Sports
BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma
BTEC Level 2 Extended Diploma
The London Olympic and Paralympics games and its Legacy ignited a boom in Sport careers which is still being felt. Exciting opportunities within community based leisure and fitness activities and professional sports are continuing to flourish, creating real opportunities for young people with sporting qualifications. John Ruskin College has responded to this demand for sporting excellence through providing a variety of courses and specifically designed pathways to support all of our students to progress within the sports industry.
Whether you wish to work towards a career in Sports therapy, Fitness, Coaching or to progress on to a University degree, John Ruskin College is ready to offer you a place on the next step of your career.
What opportunities are open to you as a Sport student?
Educational Visits and Projects:
- Outdoor and adventurous activities to challenge your comfort zone
- Visits to private exercise & fitness clubs, hospitals, clinics, therapy centres and spas, Premiership Football Clubs, training grounds and other sports stadia
Getting involved within the industries:
- Mentoring of 14-16 learners at JRC
- The opportunity to undertake a range of short courses alongside your main qualification to include ‘First for Sport’ qualifications, ‘Governing Body’ coaching awards, Fitness Instructor awards and voluntary work experience which could lead to paid part time work
Preparing for your next steps
- Visits and fun days to universities both in and out of London
- Personal support in developing your CV and employability skills
Sports Courses on offer:
BTEC Level 2 First Extended Certificate in Sport
Areas of Study
A one year course designed to develop your skills and knowledge in the areas of coaching, fitness instruction and the effects of exercise on the body. You will learn how to plan and organise a sports event and run it efficiently. You will also improve your practical sports skills and complete a sports leader’s award. This is an ideal course for progression on to the Level 3 Extended Diploma in Sport.
BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Sport
Areas of Study
A two year course designed to develop advanced knowledge and application of theory in the sports business, support, coaching and fitness sectors. You will improve your breadth of skills in nutrition, psychology, sports therapy and wider experiences of the active leisure sector such as climbing, surfing and kayaking. Exciting and rewarding volunteering opportunities are available. You will also complete a sports leader’s award and have the opportunity to complete a Level 2 Fitness Instruction qualification.
ALL COURSES CAN BE SUBJECT TO CHANGE